The Major Benefits of Invisalign for Teens: An Overview
Whether you’re a teen with a bite issue, you have crooked teeth or have some other type of dental-related problem you’re trying to address, Invisalign is seen by many as a viable alternative over traditional braces for many different reasons. That’s not to say that braces DON’T have their place because they absolutely do. It’s just that Invisalign costs roughly the same amount as braces, and brings with it benefits that include but are not limited to ones like:
- Invisalign can be effortlessly removed when playing sports or engaging in similar activities. They can also be removed for special occasions such as prom, homecoming, graduation or even that next family outing where you know you’re going to be photographed but don’t want to be seen wearing braces.
- Invisalign trays are perfectly crafted to an individual’s teeth, thus making them far more comfortable to wear than traditional metal or even ceramic braces.
- There are far fewer food restrictions to deal with when wearing Invisalign than when wearing braces. Braces cannot be removed, so there will always be certain foods you need to stay away from for the duration of your treatment. Thanks to the fact that Invisalign trays can be taken out at will, you can eat pretty much anything you want at any time.
- Invisalign also requires far less time spent at the orthodontist’s office, too. You’ll still have to make frequent checkups to make sure that everything is proceeding along as it should be, but any adjustments will take far less time than they would with traditional braces.
- Invisalign makes it significantly easier to maintain proper oral hygiene, too. You don’t have to worry about something getting stuck in between your teeth or behind the trays, as the trays are removed and cleaned separately. This is especially true for teens who may not be as diligent when it comes to important activities like brushing or flossing.
- As stated, Invisalign trays can be removed when eating. Not only does this mean you have fewer food restrictions to deal with – but you also don’t have to worry about accidentally damaging the trays.
- Finally, Invisalign brings with it less of a chance of plaque build-up because there are no brackets that are permanently fixed to your tooth.
All of this combines to form something of a perfect storm, especially for that fast-paced teen lifestyle. Not only do you get the same results in roughly the same amount of time, but you have a much more flexible solution – and a more attractive one, too.
Wearing Invisalign on a Schedule: What You Need to Know
To be able to enjoy the full benefits of your treatment, it’s important to know that Invisalign trays need to be worn for at least 22 hours per day, every day, no exceptions. The trays even have “compliance indicators” that will fade if the aligners are not worn enough. These tiny blue dots located on the aligners will let your orthodontist know whether or not you’ve been sticking to the recommended schedule, so it’s best to do precisely that to avoid issues later on.